Viewing office space? This 21 point office search checklist will save you time and money
Before you begin your office viewings, we would strongly advise you to write the most comprehensive office search checklist possible. We know from experience it makes the process much more efficient and effective. If you are using Find a London Office for your search, we will accompany you to your viewings.
Efficient? Your checklist will force you to cut to the chase and ask the right questions. Each viewing will be quicker and you’ll be able fit more inspections into your schedule.
Effective? You’ll be able to filter out some unsuitable properties before you waste time visiting them, by asking the agent salient questions. For those you do inspect, you’ll have a record of all the relevant details for each office, allowing you to make an informed choice later on.
An office search checklist will force you to cut to the chase and ask all the right questions.
As an aside, it is absolutely essential that you take photos of each office; after seeing 6 properties or so, I can assure you the accuracy of your memory can be less than reliable!
As with our other checklists, this list in not necessarily exhaustive. Please use it as a starting point and adapt it to your own needs:
- How much does the office appeal to you? (it can otherwise meet your criteria, without you liking it – but it’s important that you do!)
- Will it suit your company’s image?
- Will your staff like it?
- Is it easily accessible? Tube, Train, Bus, Santander Bike Station?
- Are there car parking facilities and are they sufficient?
- Is the entrance, reception and the external proximity to the point of entry acceptable?
- Is there a commissionaire and if so, is he or she up to your required standard?
- Is there a video entry phone and does it work?
- Does the building have adequate security? (Do you have higher security requirements than the average company?)
- If your staff work late, is the route to the transport links as safe as you would like?
- Lifts: are there enough and are they a sufficient size?
- Natural light: is there enough to meet your requirements?
- General condition of the building: (Is it acceptable or is it possible to bring it up to your preferred standard?)
- The interior shape: does this suit the way your company works, whether that be individuals, teams or a combination?
- Does it have centrally heating, comfort cooling and/or full air conditioning?
- Productivity: Does the space provide the work environment you need for maximum productivity?
- Is there a view? (Not important to everyone, but many like to have a view from say their boardroom or breakout area)
- Does it have a raised floor, underfloor trunking, or perimeter trunking? (Does it have the facility you need?)
- Who else is already in the building? Could this present a problem or an opportunity?
- What is in close proximity to the building? Is the surrounding area attractive? (This is more important if your office is client facing)
- What nearby services are there?
Is this checklist useful? You can have it as a PDF along with all our other checklists: [a7-popup-form-trigger form_id=”11″ anchor=”Download our complete checklists PDF for FREE” type=”link”]